By Dana Baasiri
In the rapidly evolving digital landscape, platforms come and go, each vying for the attention of consumers. Among them stands YouTube, a platform that has managed to remain relevant, effective, and significant, particularly for travel brands. With the plethora of social platforms, marketers may be wondering which social media platform is most conducive to marketing their travel brand and seeking influencer collaborations. So, is YouTube more effective than its competitors like Instagram and TikTok?
While the answer may not be as black and white as we’d like it to be, a key strength of the platform is that YouTube videos have a much higher engagement rate than Instagram influencer content. In this article, we will take a closer look at why YouTube continues to be a major player in the travel industry and how it caters to both travelers and content creators.
Must-Know YouTube Marketing Stats in 2023
With the social media space looking vastly different than it did a few short years ago, it’s imperative to get a firm understanding of how the platform is performing, who is consuming content on there, and who is creating content.
→ YouTube in Numbers
- The second-largest search engine in the world is YouTube.
- 70% of viewers claim that YouTube makes them more aware of new brands.
- More than 9 billion people have watched the most popular YouTube video.
- Daily views of YouTube Shorts are 15 billion.
→ Who is using YouTube?
- It is the most popular platform in the United States with 74% of adult users.
- 56% of Gen Z, 54% of Millennials, 48% of Gen X, and 26% of Boomers say they discover new products most often on YouTube.
- 55% of YouTube users are men and 45% of women use the platform.
→ What about influencer marketing on YouTube?
- YouTube is the second most popular social network for influencer marketing.
- 34% of YouTube creators use the platform to endorse their brands or businesses.
- Viewers claim that the likelihood that they will buy anything after seeing it on YouTube has doubled.
- YouTubers were the most trusted public figures (31%) beating TikTokers by 12%.
Travelers Turn to YouTube for Destination Research
Before embarking on a journey, today’s travelers are becoming increasingly reliant on visual insights to inform their decisions. YouTube offers a treasure trove of content that caters to this need. From ‘day-in-the-life’ videos of cities to detailed reviews of resorts, the platform provides potential tourists with a real-world glimpse into destinations including:
- Authentic Experiences: Unlike polished brochures or edited images, YouTube videos often showcase authentic experiences. This gives travelers an unfiltered view of a location, helping them gauge if it aligns with their expectations.
- Diverse Perspectives: With a universe of content creators, YouTube offers varied perspectives on the same destination. This is particularly useful for travelers who can then make decisions based on diverse experiences and opinions.
Content Creators and the Power of Storytelling
YouTube has given rise to a new generation of content creators, many of whom specialize in travel. These YouTubers play a pivotal role in influencing travel choices and helping to market travel brands through a variety of content concepts.
- Travel Vlogs: These personal travel diaries offer viewers a chance to vicariously explore a destination. With engaging narratives and stunning visuals, they often inspire viewers to add new places to their bucket lists.
- Tutorials & Guides: From how to pack for a trip to understanding local cultures, content creators offer invaluable advice, making travel planning and execution seamless for viewers.
- Monetization Opportunities: YouTube’s monetization framework also incentivizes travel vloggers to produce quality content. With avenues like ad revenues, sponsored content, and affiliate marketing, content creators can turn their passion into a profitable venture.
Take a recent YouTube content expedition and collaboration we brought to life for Explore Better to drive social media amplification for their unique offerings to National Parks. We ultimately created a YouTube content series where three influencers documented their unique experience and stay. Each influencer ran sweepstakes for their followers to have a chance to experience a similar adventure that further engaged the Explore Better brand and drove traffic to their website.
Through our AC Creator Collection ™ we selected Gareth Leonard (experienced traveler), Matt & Abby (young couple), and GabeBabeTV (family) to showcase their unique experience to reach and resonate with the core Explore Better audience.
Not only did the campaign garner over 19 million impressions and video views with clear call-to-actions and link clicks, but it generated evergreen content that tells the brand’s story. YouTube collaborations such as this one can offer brands a significantly long shelf-life, where views continue to accumulate and engagement continues to multiply.
How Travel Brands Can Leverage YouTube
Unlike platforms where content quickly fades away in the constant stream of posts, YouTube’s algorithm often prioritizes and resurfaces videos that remain relevant over time, regardless of their upload date. This means that a well-crafted, timeless video can continue to attract views and engagement for years after its initial release. Additionally, with users constantly searching for tutorials, reviews, and information on a plethora of subjects, YouTube acts as a visual search engine where evergreen content thrives, continually offering value to both creators and viewers. Brands in the travel sector can significantly benefit from a strategic presence on YouTube, including:
- Brand Storytelling: A well-crafted video can narrate a brand’s story, ethos, and offerings. This not only builds trust but also establishes a deeper connection with potential customers.
- Collaborations with Influencers: Partnering with travel YouTubers can help brands tap into established audiences. These collaborations can range from sponsored trips to reviews of travel services.
- Interactive Features: With features like polls, live chats, and comment sections, brands can engage with their audience in real time, addressing queries, and building community loyalty.
- SEO Benefits: Since YouTube is owned by Google, a well-optimized channel can boost a brand’s search engine visibility, driving organic traffic to both the channel and the brand’s website.
YouTube remains a powerhouse for travel enthusiasts, creators, and brands alike. Its influence in shaping travel choices is unparalleled, thanks to the authenticity, depth, and engagement it offers. As travel brands seek to navigate the digital space, a robust YouTube strategy can act as their compass, leading them to sustained growth and increased visibility.
Are you still wondering if YouTube is the right social platform for your travel brand? Alliance Connection has an arsenal of successful YouTube content collaborations and influencer marketing campaigns under our belt and we’d love to share what we’ve learned. To hear more, contact us today at email@example.com.